It’s summertime and you’ve got far more important – or at least fun – things to do than spend hours fussing with your hair. It’s time to welcome not just the warmer weather, but these tips and tricks to keep your tresses under control and looking great, whether you’re poolside or on the beach.
Protect its condition
As temperatures soar, it’s not just your body that needs extra hydration. Hot conditions, chlorinated pool water and salt water can all be incredibly drying and damaging to your hair, leaving it feeling brittle and coarse.
Switch to a moisturising shampoo and conditioner to replenish the hair shaft and keep hair soft and sexy. If you plan on going swimming and really can’t bring yourself to wear a swimming cap (don’t worry, we understand that it doesn’t match your bikini), pre-treat your hair with a leave-in conditioner. This fills up the gaps in the hair shaft, acting as a barrier against chlorine. This is important no matter what your hair type, but especially if you have curly, kinky or ethnic hair, which tends to be naturally drier than straight hair.
TRY: Schwarzkopf Gliss Total Repair Express Conditioner. Add more ‘oomph’ to it, as well as that unmistakable summer scent, by adding a drop of nourishing coconut oil.
Retain its colour
Your skin may be getting steadily more tanned, but your hair colour may be fading. Keep this in mind if you’re colouring your hair – you may want to opt for a shade or two darker than what you want, especially in reds and blondes.
And just as you protect your skin when you step out into the sun, you need to protect your hair: wear a wide-brimmed hat whenever you’re outdoors for an extended period of time – it’ll serve double duty by shielding your skin too. Why not get the salon experience poolside by working a deep-conditioning mask into your hair before you go sit in the sun where you can let the product get to work? This’ll help you hang onto your colour for longer.
TRY: Dove Colour Radiance Deep Repair Treatment Mask
5 tips for even more fabulous hair
1. Take advantage of the warm weather by allowing your hair to air-dry instead of using a hairdryer.
2. Start the season with a trim to get rid of split ends and refresh your look. And if you’re considering transitioning to natural hair, this may be the perfect season for the Big Chop.
3. No matter how well you take care of your hair, there will be some days where the summer elements get the better of you, so use a silicone-based smoothing serum to fight frizz. TRY: John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Original Formula
4. Casual is cool. Natural hair, ponytails and messy buns are in: give your hair a break from constant styling by sticking to summer’s fuss-free looks. Your locks will thank you.
5. Prevent green hair post-swimming pool by rinsing your hair with sparkling mineral water immediately after you get out of the pool.