Reducing waste and pollution
Our goal is for 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025.
- We are a founding member of the SA Plastics Pact, which is a commitment to create a circular economy for plastics. In addition to insuring that 100% of plastic packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable, the Pact also requires that 70% of plastic packaging is effectively recycled and that there is an average of 30% recycled content across all plastic packaging by 2025.
- Clicks MyEarth products – a wide range of affordable daily essentials – are packaged in recyclable materials. The growing MyEarth range also offers reusable options to reduce waste (such as bamboo fibre facial pads) and plastic-free personal care items (such as combs, hairbrushes and toothbrushes made from sustainable materials such as bamboo, cornstarch and PLA).
Taking action on climate change
Our goal is to reduce our carbon emissions intensity by 10% by 2030.
- We received A-ratings in the voluntary Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) for 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- We align to the 2015 Paris Agreement, a legally binding international treaty to limit climate change.
- Every year, we share our environmental, social and governance (ESG) credentials for the FTSE4Good Index assessment.
Using water wisely
Our goal is to reduce water consumption at our Head Office and three distribution centres by 5% by 2030.
- At Clicks Head Office, we use water from diverse sources – including borehole, rain and recycled water – to reduce our dependence on municipal water.
Using energy responsibly
Our goal is to reduce energy consumption by 5% by 2030.
- At Clicks Head Office, solar power reduces our reliance on non-renewable energy sources.
- We have installed energy-saving LED lights in all of our stores across the country.
Click here to read our 2020 Sustainability Report.