Reducing waste and pollution
Our goal is for 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025.
- We are a founding member of the SA Plastics Pact, which is a commitment to create a circular economy for plastics. In addition to ensuring that 100% of packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025, the Pact also requires the elimination of unnecessary and problematic packaging through redesign, innovation or reuse models, that 70% of plastic packaging is effectively recycled, and that there is an average of 30% recycled content across all plastic packaging by 2025.
- Clicks MyEarth products – a wide range of affordable daily essentials – are packaged in recyclable plastic packaging or plastic-free packaging made from sustainable paper, all with recycled content where possible. The growing MyEarth range also offers reusable products made from bamboo, hemp, natural rubber, and organic cotton (such as the hemp exfoliating mitt), as well as personal care items (such as bamboo combs and hairbrushes, and toothbrushes made from recycled plastic waste).
Taking action on climate change
Our goal is to reduce our carbon emissions intensity by 10% by 2030.
- We received A-ratings in the voluntary Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) for 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- We align to the 2015 Paris Agreement, a legally binding international treaty to limit climate change.
- Every year, we share our environmental, social and governance (ESG) credentials for the FTSE4Good Index assessment.
Using water wisely
Our goal is to reduce water consumption at our Head Office and three distribution centres by 5% by 2030.
- At Clicks Head Office, we use water from diverse sources – including borehole, rain and recycled water – to reduce our dependence on municipal water.
Using energy responsibly
Our goal is to reduce energy consumption by 5% by 2030.
- At Clicks Head Office, solar power reduces our reliance on non-renewable energy sources.
- We have installed energy-saving LED lights in all of our stores across the country.
Click here to read our 2020 Sustainability Report.