Symptoms start one to four days after the virus enters the body. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those people may still spread the virus to others.
Flu symptoms generally appear one to four days after exposure to the virus.
- A high fever or feeling feverish (not everyone with the flu has a fever)
- A cough and/or sore throat
- A runny or stuffy nose
- Headaches and/or body aches
- Tiredness and weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Limb or joint pain
- Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhoea (most common in children)
Pay attention as flu can become serious, developing into pneumonia and even causing death.
You should consult your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Purple or blue discoloration of the lips
- Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Sudden dizziness
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Flu-like symptoms that improve but then return with fever and a worse cough
It’s important to remember that the flu virus can be spread from as far as 180cm. This presents problems in the workplace especially. Problem areas are open-plan offices and cramped spaces within your building, such as lifts, meeting rooms or coffee stations where the air is stuffy due to closed windows and a lack of fresh air.
To avoid this, stay away from sick people and, very importantly, stay home if you’re sick.
According to studies, flu-like symptoms have been reported to account for as much 12% of absenteeism in the workplace. But even more concerning to employers is the negative impact of employees who bring the flu to work: they not only risk spreading the virus but productivity is lower.
How Clicks Clinics can help you during the flu season
Book an appointment for a flu vaccination at a Clicks Clinic by calling 0860 254 257 or visiting Clicks Clinics online. The good news is that most medical aids now cover the flu vaccination and sometimes even reward members.
Take note that the following people cannot get vaccinated:
- Babies younger than 6 months
- Anyone allergic to eggs
- Anyone who already has a fever
- Anyone who has shown a past reaction to a vaccine
Shop now at Clicks.co.za for cold and flu remedies
To help you ward off colds and the flu, or recover from them, Clicks pharmacists have selected the most trustworthy and affordable products for you to purchase online. These include a wide range of vitamins and supplements and cough, cold and flu remedies.