Orphenadrine is a muscle relaxant.
What are orphenadrine’s uses?
Orphenadrine is used to help relax certain muscles in your body and relieve the stiffness, pain, and discomfort caused by strains, sprains, or other injury to your muscles.
It works by blocking pain sensations sent to your brain.
What dosage should you take?
The recommended dose is one 100mg tablet by mouth twice daily in the morning and evening.
However, first check the correct dosages with your Clicks pharmacist.
What special precautions should you take?
- Don't drive or operate heavy machinery when taking orphenadrine as it may cause drowsiness, dizziness or blurred vision.
- Use with caution in the elderly, as they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Not recommended for use in children.
- Check your progress with your doctor at regular visits to make sure it’s working properly.
- May add to the effects of CNS depressants (medicines that slow down the nervous system) and alcohol. Do not drink alcohol while taking orphenadrine.
- May cause dry mouth. Use with caution as this may lead to dental disease.
- It is not known if orphenadrine is found in breast milk. Discuss risks with your doctor if you’re breastfeeding.
- There is not enough knowledge about the use of orphenadrine in pregnancy. Avoid if possible and consult with your doctor.
- May be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it is prescribed for.
Orphenadrine should be avoided if you suffer from the following conditions:
- Heart problems
- You have an allergy to it
Orphenadrine should be used with caution if you suffer from the following conditions:
- Enlarged oesophagus
- Enlarged prostate
- Intestinal blockage
- Myasthenia gravis (a rare condition causing abnormal weakness of certain muscles)
- Stomach ulcer
- Urinary tract blockage
What drug interactions could you experience?
As a rule, always inform your doctor or Clicks pharmacist what prescription and non-prescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements and herbal products you are taking or planning to take to ensure you don’t suffer the effects of adverse drug interactions.
What are orphenadrine’s side effects?
Side effects could include:
- Blurred vision
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Dry mouth
- Stomach irritation or upset
This is not a complete list of side effects. It’s essential that you call your doctor should you notice any severe or odd side effects.
What are the overdose symptoms?
Call a doctor or the ambulance immediately if you notice the following reactions:
- Blurred vision
- Problems urinating
- Dry eyes, mouth, nose or throat
- Eye pain
- Difficulty breathing