Recent research, reported in Medical News Today, reveals some interesting developments in the field of heart health. These include:
- The risk of peripartum cardiomyopathy, a weakened and enlarged heart, during childbirth may be raised for women who are obese or suffering from mood disorders, such as anxiety and depression, according to a study by Dr David Kao and colleagues from the University of Colorado in Denver. For more on this study, see here.
- A poor night's sleep can significantly increase our risk of heart attack and stroke, according to Professor Valery Gafarov, of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences in Novosibirsk, Russia. For more on this study, see here.
- Simple tests designed to assess kidney function and damage could be just as effective at predicting the risk of cardiovascular problems as traditional forms of testing that measure blood pressure and cholesterol levels, according to Dr Kunihiro Matsushita, an assistant scientist in the Bloomberg School's Department of Epidemiology. For more on this study, see here.
- Patients with moderate to severe depression have five times the risk of all-cause mortality compared with patients with mild or no depression, according to OPERA-HF, an ongoing observational study designed to assess and predict the risk of readmission and mortality for patients hospitalised for or with heart failure. For more on this study, see here.
- People need to be cautious of using proton pump inhibitors, according to a new study that found that adults using the drug are 16 to 21 percent more likely to have a heart attack than people not using the antacid, according to research from Houston's Methodist and Stanford University, published in PLOS ONE. Click here for more on this study.
How Clicks Clinics can help you
Clicks Clinics will help you prevent or manage heart disease with their wide range of screening tests. These include:
- Blood Pressure (BP) Test
- Cholesterol Testing and Consultation
- Lipogram Blood Test (to determine different types of cholesterol)
- Clicks Full Basic Screening (BP, Body Mass Index or BMI, meal guide and exercise plan)
- Clicks Screening Measurements only (BP and BMI)
- Clicks Comprehensive Screening (BP, BMI, Glucose and Cholesterol screening, plus meal and exercise plan)
To make an appointment at a Clicks Clinic, call 0860 254 257 or visit Clicks Clinics online.
For more info