Kelp is a brown algae and its extract is a great source of vitamins and minerals.
What are its health benefits?
Kelp belongs to the Laminaria seaweed family. Kelp extract is a source of vitamins and minerals such as iodine, potassium, magnesium and iron. Iodine is an important element in the production of thyroid hormones that regulate the body’s energy production, and promote growth and development.
Kelp supplements may have the following benefits:
- Assists in weight loss
- Assists in the management of high blood pressure
- Assists in the management of symptoms associated with radiation sickness (nausea and vomiting) after receiving chemotherapy
- Aids in the management of constipation
Recommended dietary allowance (RDA)
The dosage will vary depending on the condition being treated, but generally between 50 and 150mcg is the recommended dosage.
Use with caution if you suffer from any of the following:
- Bronchitis (lung infection)
- Kidney disease
- Thyroid gland disease
- Urticarial vasculitis (a skin condition with inflamed and reddened patches on the skin)
- Grave’s disease, an immune disorder characterised by an overproduction of thyroid hormones
- If you have an iodine allergy
Avoid its usage during pregnancy and breastfeeding, as not enough research has been done on its safety during these periods.
Possible side effects
Side effects could include:
- Contact dermatitis (a red, itchy rash)
- Gastrointestinal disruption (rare)
Ensure you discuss dietary supplementation with your Clicks pharmacist to avoid the potential for side effects and adverse interactions with medications.
This medicine has not been evaluated by the Medicines Control Council. This medicine is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.