Mupirocin is an antibiotic cream used for skin infections.
What are mupirocin’s uses?
Mupirocin’s purpose is to treat certain skin infections. It’s used for impetigo, a contagious infection that usually produces blisters or sores, as well as other skin infections caused by bacteria. It is not effective against fungal or viral infections.
It's also used as an ointment for acne.
What dosage should you take?
It is usually applied to the skin three times a day for one to two weeks. However, first check the correct dosages with your Clicks pharmacist.
What special precautions should you take?
- Avoid mupirocin if you have ever had an allergic reaction to it.
- Discuss any other allergies with your doctor before using it.
- It is unlikely to harm an unborn baby but do not use mupirocin while pregnant without first talking to your doctor.
- Mupirocin passes into breast milk, so don’t use it while breastfeeding without first talking to your doctor.
- Avoid getting it in your eye, nose or mouth.
- If you miss a dose, apply the dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed and apply only the regular amount.
- Mupirocin should be avoided if you have an open wound.
- If mupirocin topical gets in your eyes or mouth, rinse thoroughly with water.
What drug interactions could you experience?
As a rule, always inform your doctor or Clicks pharmacist what prescription and non-prescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements and herbal products you are taking or planning to take to ensure you don’t suffer the effects of adverse drug interactions.
What are mupirocin’s side effects?
Side effects include:
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- Chest congestion
- Ear pain
- Burning or stinging in the nose
- Change in taste
- Sore throat
- Stuffy or runny nose
This is not a complete list of side effects. It’s essential that you call your doctor should you notice any severe or odd side effects.
What are the overdose symptoms?
A mupirocin overdose is rare and no symptoms of an overdose are known. However, please consult a doctor if you suspect an overdose.