Omega-9 is a non-essential monounsaturated fat, or fatty acid, that our bodies synthesise. It’s vital for heart health and blood sugar control.
What are its health benefits?
Omega-9 increases ‘good’ HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol and lowers ‘bad’ LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol, thereby helping to eliminate plaque build-up in arteries. This so-called fatty acid is important for heart health and blood sugar control.
The other two fatty acids are omega-3 and 6, both of which are polyunsaturated fats, and are known as essential, as the body cannot produce them. Together, fatty acids play an important part in overall health, including heart health, vitamin absorption, immune function and cell development.
Omega-9 supplements may have the following health benefits:
- Increasing metabolism and improving mood (according to a recent study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition)
- Assists in the management of metabolic syndrome, biochemical and physiological abnormalities associated with cardiovascular (heart) disease and diabetes
- Assists in the reduction of plaque build-up in blood vessels, thereby reducing risk of atherosclerosis
- Used in the management of blood sugar control
Do you have a deficiency?
An omega-9 deficiency is not common as our bodies produce it, so deficiency symptoms maybe be rather broad, but could include:
- Hair loss
- Eczema-like symptoms/dry itchy skin/cracking, peeling skin on fingertips
- Dry eyes
- Stiff/painful joints
- Craving for fatty foods
Find it in these food sources
Omega-9 is found in the following foods:
- Canola oil, as well as olive, peanut, and sunflower oils
- Nuts: almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamias, peanuts, pecan nuts, pistachios and walnuts
Recommended dietary allowance (RDA)
Because the body makes omega-9, no real RDA has been established. Consult with your Clicks pharmacist for the recommended dosage.
Possible side effects
Side effects of too much omega-3, -6 and -9 in a combination supplement could include:
- Swelling of face, tongue or throat
- Breathing problems
Ensure you discuss dietary supplementation with your Clicks pharmacist to avoid the potential for side effects and adverse interactions with medications.
This medicine has not been evaluated by the Medicines Control Council. This medicine is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Shop online at Clicks.co.za for your omega oils
Clicks' pharmacists have selected the most trustworthy and affordable supplements for you. If you'd like to stock up on your monthly intake via the convenience of online shopping, go here for your omega oils.